"There comes a certain point in life when you have to stop blaming other people for how you feel or the misfortunes in your life. You can't go through life obsessing about what might have been." - Hugh Jackman

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chapter 2 - Heart Over Matter 2


Night in the Hotel



The rain poured hard that night and Nicole was still at the gym of their university. She and the rest of the student council decorated the gym for their upcoming school dance. There were only three members left in the gym — Nicole, Mikan and Megan. Mikan and Megan were twins and were good friends of Nicole.
“It’s getting late,” Megan told the girls.
“You two can go ahead,” Nicole said. “We’re almost done and I think I can finish this alone.”
“No, we’ll wait for you,” Mikan snapped. “It’s raining outside, we’ll give you a ride.”
“I’d love to, but my house is further than your house, and it’s from a different direction. I don’t want to give you troubles by just giving me a ride,”
“Are you sure?” Mikan asked.
“Yeah, the rain will stop eventually,”
Mikan and Megan left Nicole alone in the gym. Nicole arranged some chairs, checking every design and decoration on the wall. After that, Nicole cleaned the remaining scraps and paper cuttings, putting them on a box and setting it aside. Nicole went outside when she’s done, the rain had stopped and Nicole proceeded to the gate to catch a ride.
Nicole looked at her watch — it was already 11:45 pm. She looked up into the sky — no stars, no moon. Suddenly, a lightning appeared in the clouds and roared, the rain poured hard again. Nicole was now stranded.
“Oh God, could this day get any worse?” Nicole murmured.
Nicole waited for fifteen more minutes, and still, no taxi has passed by in front of her.


*     *     *


“Can I speak to Nicole?” Lance asked Nicole’s nanny.
“She’s still not home,” Nicole’s nanny said. “I think she’s still at school. It’s raining hard, and I’m worried about her.”
“Don’t worry,” Lance said. “I’ll look for her.”
“That would be very nice, thank you Lance,”
Lance grabbed his jacket and Mark’s keys and ran outside of his condo. Mark followed him, but he’s too late, I haven’t fixed the car yet, Mark thought.


*     *     *


“This is the worst day ever! I still have to wake up early tomorrow to buy my costume for the dance! Whoever proposed a costume party as a theme, well, she better rot in hell,” Nicole said in frustration. She’s so angry that she even forgot that she’s the one who proposed the costume party.
The rain was still pouring hard — even harder. Still, no cars, no ride for her; Nicole dialed the phone number in their house. She wants to call his Mom and Dad so they won’t worry about her.
“Hello,” her nanny answered.
“Nanny, it’s me,” Nicole said.
“Nicole! Thank goodness you’re alright! Are you safe? Where are you?”
“Yes, I’m fine.  A little bit stranded because of the rain but I’m totally fine. I’m still here at the university. Where’s Mom? Dad?”
“They slept early,” her nanny said. “They’re unaware that you’re still not home.”
“I’m still waiting for a ride, but —” Nicole’s phone suddenly turned off. It ran out of battery. “Damn it!”
Nicole sat on a stool when a headlight of a car suddenly appeared from her right. Nicole bolted up from her seat, she thought the headlight was from a taxi or jeepney but instead it was from a silver car. The car stopped in front of her. She saw this car once — it was the car of Mark, Lance’s good friend. The car door suddenly opened a Lance came out from the driver’s seat.
“Are you okay?” Lance asked her. She could see that Lance was worried, and there was a hint of relief in his eyes.
“I’m okay,” Nicole ran her slender fingers in her long hair.
“You’re nanny said your still not yet home so I figured out that maybe I should look for you,” Lance pulled her and put his hand around her body. “I’m worried.”
“Thank you,” Nicole closed her eyes. How can just a simple hug replace do all stress and worries in my mind? Nicole thought.
“Come on,” Lance said. “It’s getting late. I need to bring you home.”
Lance gave Nicole his jacket so that she can use it to cover herself from the rain. Nicole ran to the passenger seat while Lance opened the door of the driver’s seat.
“Can I borrow your phone?” Nicole asked Lance. “I need to call my nanny, she’s worried. My phone’s dead.”
Lance reached to his pocket, it was empty. He reached again to his other pocket, and again, it’s empty. “I think I left it in my condo.”
“That’s very convenient,” Nicole teased.
“Sorry,”
“It’s okay,” Nicole smiled while drying herself with her handkerchief. “We’d be home soon anyway.”
Lance drove slowly; the road was wet and slippery. It’s already 12:45 a.m. Nicole’s house was still few kilometers away.
“Do you have a costume?” Nicole asked. “For the dance I mean?”
“Yes,” Lance answered. “And you?”
“No, I haven’t bought a costume yet,” Nicole answered.
“You’re the one who had this idea and yet, you still have no costume? That was so lame.
“Lame? How did that become ‘so lame’?” Nicole said. Her voice showed her irritation. “I’m busy organizing the dance, that’s why I haven’t thought about the costume.
“I was just joking,” Lance said.
Nicole didn’t answer. The whole interior of the car was silent except for the engine. Suddenly, the car halted and the whole car turned off.
“What happened?” Nicole asked.
“The battery’s dead,” Lance whispered. He’s shocked because of the sudden stop of the car.
“What?”
“The battery’s dead! The car won’t move, the car wont run,” Lance said. “This means we have to look for a hotel or inn to stay for the night.”


*     *     *


Nicole washed her face with warm water to rinse the soap that covered her skin. They don’t have a choice but to stay in the hotel.
“I bought some food on the nearby store,” Lance said as he enters the room. “This hotel sucks no room service at all.”
Nicole went out of the bathroom with a wet towel in her hands. She sat on the edge of the bed and took bread inside the paper bag that Lance had carried inside the room and started nibbling it.
“Have you called in you’re house?” Lance asked as he wipes his face and dries his hair with a different towel.
“Yeah, my nanny was relief that I’m safe,” Nicole said. “But of course, not that relieved. I’m still not home.”
Lance took his wet jacket off and put it on a chair beside him. Nicole looked a him; he’s soaking wet from head to waist. Nicole noticed then that Lance has carried a black backpack. She saw it once, when she first ride on Mark’s car with Cheska and Nova. Lance said it contains extra clothes for Mark incase of emergency.
“Take a rest,” Lance said. “We need to wake up early. I’m taking you home first thing in the morning.”
Nicole didn’t argue. She’s tired; she’s stretched her legs in the bed, laying down in her aching back. She looked at Lance again; her cheeks suddenly blushed as Lance removes his shirt, revealing his semi-built body. Nicole’s heart suddenly beat fast and her breathing got shallow. “Don’t sleep with a guy on the same room, sometimes they do terrible things,” her nanny told her once.
“What are you doing?” Nicole asked.
“Taking off my shirt,” Lance said as he turns around. Now, Nicole can see his semi-built triceps, biceps, and abs. Lance wiped his wet chest and arms and rest of his body.
Nicole’s whole body was now burning. Oh my, Nicole thought. This will be my first time. Her slender fingers were shaking, and so were her knees, toes, shoulders and lips.
Lance took his bag. He opened it and searched for something. Antiseptics, of course we need protection, Nicole thought again. She’s now prepared for whatever happened to her and Lance. He pulled something from the bag that stopped Nicole’s shaking — Lance pulled a shirt. He wore it at once and combed his hair.
Dirty mind Nicole, she thought to herself and smiled.
Lance unfolded a comforter on the floor and threw two pillows in it. He lay down and closed his eyes. “Good night.”
“You can lay here beside me if you want,” Nicole said. She feels so guilty for having Lance sleep on the cold floor while she sleeps on a nice comfy bed.
“Don’t seduce me,” Lance said. “’Cause you’re not my type.”
“Ah! Not you’re type? Then tell me why am I calling you my boyfriend? And besides, I don’t want you to sleep on the floor.”
“You’re not my type,” Lance repeated. “You’re my match. I won’t sleep beside you on the same bed; it’s not a good picture to think. We’ll sleep together after we got married.
Nicole reached Lance’s face and said, “You’re such a gentleman. Thank you.”
Lance touched Nicole’s hand and for once, first time for years, the night became perfect for them by just looking at each other all night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment