"There comes a certain point in life when you have to stop blaming other people for how you feel or the misfortunes in your life. You can't go through life obsessing about what might have been." - Hugh Jackman

Friday, October 14, 2011

Chapter 2 - Best Of Friends


It’s been a week since then, and today is the Mayor’s birthday, and as a treat, there’s no class in all levels of school. It was hot outside; you can barely see a living human walking down the street. Set a foot outside and you’ll be sweating like a pig in less than 10 minutes.

On our second day to school, when I was about to put on my gears, Jeremy drove in front of our house and said I gave me a free ride to school and back home. He said, “Aren’t you considering replacing that old mountain bike of yours?”

“No,” I said. “And it’s not old.”

“Yeah, because it’s ancient,” he said. “You can sell it to an antique shop and buy a new one already.”
I didn’t answer; he just insulted my bike that’s been mine since high school. I don’t know if he’s just being nice or trying to be funny, but I have to say it’s not that effective. He’s been like that for the rest of the week, it’s a little bit annoying at first, but I got used to it soon enough, so as Amanda.

Last Wednesday, Amanda asked me for my opinion if she can join clubs on our school. I said it’s up to her but I advice her not to. I told her that we’re going to be busy and I don’t think she’s going to have the time 
to have extra activities.

I found out that Amanda has a boyfriend, Peter. Peter is an accounting student on our school; he’s on his second year. Amanda was crying at me when she told me that she and Peter fought the night before. Peter was angry because Amanda asked him about the girl who’s eating with him at lunch the day before.

“You said the two of you have been like this for quite a while,” I said. “Haven’t you realized that you had enough? Why haven’t dumped that jerk a long time ago?”

She didn’t answer, she just continued to sob. “Oh I get it, it’s because you love him. Tsk.” I stood up and bought a whole cake, it’s worth my whole week allowance. At least I have my savings to pay for it. “Here, let’s finish this. It will make you feel better.” And so we ate the cake together, she didn’t talk; she just stuffed her mouth with cake and swallowing without chewing it.

The day after, she’s crying again. Instead of reconciling the night before, Peter go angry and he wants an apology from Amanda. This time we’re with Jeremy.

“That jerk!” Jeremy said. “Did you apologize? You shouldn’t have!”

“No I didn’t,” she said. “That’s why he got angrier because I told him I didn’t do anything.”

I bought a large gallon of ice cream and we ate in silence.

It has been my routine to buy desserts for those people who are in despair. My sister does it to me when I was you. Whenever I cry because I get hurt or lose my toy or I was looking for Mum, she always gives me something sweet and I calm down.

Yesterday afternoon, I accompanied Amanda to their house. Her bicycle had flat tires. Her house is further from ours, it’s near at the outskirts of the town. Her Dad’s an overseas worker and her Mum was a house wife. We’re talking about Peter when we’re walking, and she asked something that made me laugh.

“Ben, don’t you have a girlfriend?” she asked.

“No,” I just said simply and just laughed

“Is there a problem?” she asked.

“No, nothing,” I said. “It’s just that I never had a girlfriend in my entire life!”

“Really? Why?”

“I don’t know, I never even felt like I fell in love until...” I stopped, realizing I’m talking too much. I was about to say I never even felt like I fell in love until I met her. Whew, that was a close call. Better be careful from now on!

*     *    *
There was a knock on my door, and then I realized I was drowned by memories and day dreams again. I stood up and said, “Come in.”

The door swung open and Jeremy entered. “Hey, buddy!” He greeted and sat on my bed while I opened the windows. “How’s it going?”

“Need anything?” I asked. I know it’s rude, but I’m really not in the mood to have some chit chat or something.

“Aw, come on Ben! It’s not that I need something from my new best friend everyday!” he said smiling. He opened his enormous backpack and pulled all the stuff inside – chocolates, Trollies, junk foods and other sort of things. I looked at him with my left eyebrow raised and he finally said, “Okay, I want to talk to you... or more like ask you a favour.”

“Okay,” I said. “But you don’t need those sorts of things to bribe me.”

“Well, I’m not actually going to bribe you. I brought these because I think this is going to be a long conversation.”

“So what is it all about?” I asked.

“About Amanda,” he said. I looked at him, now he got my attention and I sat on the chair in front of my table. “Well, uhm, I don’t know where to start...”

“Just say it,” I said.

“I think...” he started, he’s now thinking of the right word to say. “I think I like her.”

I stared at him expressionless. I felt my knees weak and my stomach churning. “Y-you like h-her?” I said. 

“Are you sure about this? I mean you barely know each other, dude. I mean...”

“I know! I know! But... but she’s just so amazing and...”

“And she has a boyfriend!” I said. “If you’re planning to be a girlfriend thief then I don’t think I can help you with that!”

Jeremy stood from my bed and walk towards the closed balcony door and he opened it and said, “It matters not. They’re going to break up sooner or later.”

I didn’t answer. Jeremy here is what my sister calls “The Predator Guy.” I just sighed and didn’t listen to his plans on how to make Amanda fall in love with him. And he’s right, it’s a long conversation (if you call this a conversation), it was 10 in the evening when he finally decided to go home. And because of me pretending to listen, I missed my favourite TV show.

0 comments:

Post a Comment